What is a Micro-Emulsion?
Micro-emulsions are clear, thermodynamically stable, isotropic mixtures of oil, water and surfacant (which lowers the surface tension between two liquids or a liquid and a solid). Most of the particles in the micro-emulsion are between 10 and 50 nanometers in diameter.
The term was coined in 1943 by two Cambridge University chemistry professors. The microemulsion systems are also called solubilized oil, transparent emulsions or micellar solutions.
Micro-emulsions are usually the result of:
- Oil dispursed in water (globular)
- Water dispursed in oil (globular)
- Biocontinuous (interconnected)
These Micro-emulsion mixtures may also contain cosurfactants (which make surfacants more effective). Cosurfactants increase the oil solubility of microemulsions. Cosurfactants can also change the temperature range or the salinity range of microemulsion formations, to improve their use in certain applications.
Micro-emulsions can provide the best of both worlds (synthetic coolant and soluble oil) as a coolant. They provide all the cooling properties of a synthetic plus the lubrication properties of a soluble oil. This makes them the best choice for medium to heavy duty machining operations on stainless steel.
Benefits of Micro-emulsion Coolants
In particular, micro-emulsion coolants provide:
- Excellent cooling at the tool-workpiece interface
- Can be used for multi-metal operations including carbon steels, yellow metal, aluminum and stainless steel
- Can be formulated with Extreme Pressure lubrication additives
- Superior hard water stability
- Improved bio-resistance
- Improved metal removal properties and chip carry out
- Excellent tramp oil rejection
- Able to be formulated for light, medium or heavy duty operations
- Easier to remove soils from work piece after operation
- Lower surface tension allows for better wetting and even films during machining
Our Micro-emulsion Coolant Products
Harry Miller Corp offers micro-emulsion coolants in the Kleerkut products series. Kleerkut 2900, Kleerkut 4960, most of the Kleerkut 4900* series, and the Kleerkut 5900 series are all micro-emulsion coolants.
If you would like to learn more about the micro-emulsion coolants and other products we offer, contact us today.
(*the exceptions being Kleerkut 4900-TLF and Kleerkut 4900–LFS)