Today is the First Day of Nick’s 51st Year with Harry Miller Corp!
I’d like to take us all back in time… to July 11th, 1966.
- It was a Monday, just as his anniversary today is a Monday.
- My grandfather was sitting in my current office
- My father was sitting where Lisa is sitting
- I’m not sure where my Uncle was, since there was not yet any office space off the upstairs lobby
- Which desk did Nick Take??
- The back room was full of ladies doing direct mail
- We had at least 10 salesmen on the road
- Roy Allen was in Nick’s Current office: Roy had been captured by the Nazis in 1944 and had survived two death camps
- I was at the pool at HVCC, looking forward to a month in Stone Harbor in August (I was the ripe old age of 12!)
- The Phillies were in 4th Place
- Connie Mac Stadium was in use at 21st and Lehigh
- Gene Mauch was manager
- Pitchers of note included: Bo Belinsky, Chris Short, Jim Bunning
- Players of note included: Cookie Rojas, Clay Darymple, Dick Allen and Johnny Calison was in right field.
- Lyndon Johnson was President
- The Senate was 64-36 Democrat
- The House was 248-127 Democrat
- Popular Movies included: Born Free, Nevada Smith, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Torn Curtain and Batman.
- Popular TV Shows included: Dark Shadows (Soap Opera), The Munsters, Gilligan’s Island and Get Smart
- “Hanky Panky” by Tommy James and the Shondells was the #1 hit song
- The Most Popular Song Artists were: Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, The Troggs, The Mothers of Invention and The Fifth Dimension
- The most notable news item was that Angus Barbieri of Scotland ended his diet of Soda Water, Tea, Coffee and Vitamins after loosing 293 pound in 392 days gaining the title of “Longest to have survived without food” and he said he had forgotten what food tasted like.
On July 11, 1966, we had not yet invented the acid inhibitor Activol® 1803. Today, Activol® 1803 remains the highest selling product in our 80 year history and it led us into the international arena!
Congratulations on reaching this landmark anniversary and many thanks for all your years of service to date Nick. We are honored to have you begin your 51st year of service today!
Harry Miller Corporation